Wednesday, March 2, 2011

How the Pool Party got started


When I was growing up, I wanted to be three things: a wife, a mommy, and a teacher. I was certainly not the out going type in high school or college. I worked, went to school, and had a short list of really close friends. I was not ever in any hurry to find a husband or get married. However, I did wonder from time to time if I would ever meet that "right" person who shared my values and dreams. I knew that I was not the type of person who would go out searching for Mr. Right. The thought of having to go out and do that made me ill! :) I just kind of knew in the back of my mind that if God had the right person for me, he would have to pretty much just place him right in front of me. Well, as we all know, our God is an awesome God and He did just that!
One afternoon while I was working at the Mesquite Pit, Josh Pool came in to eat. This wasn't really unusual, because he came in frequently for lunch with two other guys that I knew. At one time, they all worked at Sims Lumber Company. However on this day, Josh came in a little later than normal (after the lunch rush), and he came alone. I didn't really think too much of it so I seated him and continued on working at the front desk. After he finished eating, he came up to pay out. It was at this moment that my life was forever changed- he made some small talk and then asked me if I would like to go on a date! I remember being so excited because I already thought he was a really great guy, but I had always thought that I wasn't his type.
Our first date was in April of 2001. I had a late afternoon class at Tarleton, so we decided on a time that he would pick me up at my house. My class always got out a few minutes early, so I figured I would have plenty of time. Well, as luck would have it, the professor kept us a few minutes late! I panicked a little, but decided that if I hurried I would still be home on time.
Being the queen of procrastination that I am, I had not filled up with gas when I should have, and my tank was below 1/4 tank (a BIG no no in my Daddy's book). But I decided that I didn't have time to stop and get gas, and that I should have enough to make it home. Then as I got to I20 at 281, my gas light came on. Yep- you guessed it, I decided that I still didn't have time to stop for gas and I could make it home. And I ALMOST did!!! About a mile before my exit, I totally ran out of gas. I had to make the hardest phone call I have ever had to make in my life...I had to call my Dad and ask him to bring me some gas. You see, there are two things that my Dad always drilled into my head..1. you never drink a coke for breakfast and 2. you never let the gas tank get below 1/4 of a tank. So when I called him, I was fully prepared for the lecture of a lifetime, and he made it 10X worse by only saying "ok, I will be there in a few minutes". How do parents know exactly what gets to you the worst??!!
So after that dreadful phone call, I had to call Josh to tell him that I would be late for our first date. (little did he know that this was a small glimpse into the rest of his life!!!) And as luck would have it, he was going to be early (yep, a glimpse into the rest of MY life!) and was about a mile behind me. He offered to come help me, but I told him my dad was already on his way. So as I sat in my car, tears streaming and stomach knotted, I saw a truck pull up behind me on the interstate. Josh got out and walked up to my door. He told me he wasn't going to leave me sitting on the side of the road alone and sat there until my dad showed up. He then followed me to the gas station and insisted on pumping my gas for me. :) (yep, the same gas that I thought I didn't have time to stop and get!!) I was totally blown away at how sweet he was. I had never met a guy that would do that kind of thing for me. He then followed me home and visited with my Dad while I freshened my tear streaked face, and then we headed out for what turned out to be a wonderful evening. I didn't know it until many months later, but as we pulled out of the driveway that night, Dad looked at Mom and said "They are gonna get married."
That was in April, and by July we were engaged! I couldn't believe that I had met someone who shared my beliefs, values, and dreams. In many ways, we were as different as day and night, but those differences are what made us a perfect match. I would like to say that we ALWAYS bring out the best in each other, but I know that there are times when we manage to bring out the worst too. Luckily our love is strong enough to learn from those times and turn them into positive growing experiences. I am so lucky to have Josh as my partner in this wild roller coaster ride we call life. My prayer is that our girls grow up knowing how much we love each other and how much we love them. They are the best blessings God has ever given us and our desire is to raise them in a way that glorifies Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment